We hope that this message finds each of you doing well and staying safe and healthy as we all continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. Each of us at Special Olympics Southern California miss seeing you in-person and continue to look forward to a time when we can all get back together.
Right now, we’d like to provide you with an update regarding SOSC’s plans to Return to Activity. Due to the recent increase in the prevalence of COVID-19 in our communities and continued concerns for the health and safety of our athletes, coaches, and staff, we are announcing that SOSC will continue to operate in Phase 0 of our Phased Return to Activity Plan. Phase 0 does not allow for an in-person activity and does allow for virtual programming only. We will continue to monitor all state, county, and local health protocols and mandates and enact Phase 1 only when it is safe to do so.
- This information applies to Sports & Programs and Development (fundraising) activities.
- The earliest that we would enact Phase 1 is now July 1, 2021.
- We will continue to offer virtual programming, such as the Healthy Lifestyle Challenge 2.0, Move Across California, and Virtual Sports Leagues. We are still working on the schedule for Athlete Leadership training opportunities in 2021.
- We will provide our next update on or before May 1, 2021.
Phase 0 (We are currently in this phase.) – Allows only for virtual programming. No in-person activity.
Phase 1 – Allows for groups of 10 or less to gather in controlled settings
Phase 2 – Allows for groups of 50 or less to gather in controlled settings
Phase 3 – Allows for groups of 250 or less to gather in controlled settings
Phase 4 – No limit on the size of the gathering
You can see the detailed plans for SOSC’s Phased Return to Activity at
- Sports & Programs: www.sosc.org/file/RTA-Phases-Sports-Programming.pdf
- Development: www.sosc.org/file/RTA-Phases-Development.pdf
While it isn’t safe just yet to train and compete in-person, we have created a few programs to help everyone stay active, healthy, and social during these difficult times.
- Healthy Lifestyle Challenge 2.0: Create healthy patterns and bring new healthy practices into your life by signing up for SOSC’s inclusive fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness clubs. The clubs meet twice a week for an hour over Zoom and are open to anyone. Learn more at www.sosc.org/hlc.
- Move Across California: Take part in a team event as you all strive to complete an epic 1,000-mile virtual journey across the state. Have fun while spreading inclusion and supporting Special Olympics Southern California. Learn how you can move to a better life at www.sosc.org/mac
- Virtual Sports Leagues: More information coming soon!